Such a great event this past weekend with the Burr Remodeling Team at the JLC Trade Show in Rhode Island!
We take the time to attend each year to get the latest information on materials, techniques, trends and best practices. Each team member takes away something different from the show, but we all agree that we come away feeling energized and inspired!
This year, the added bonus was a chance to speak to and take photos with the crew from This Old House! We were thrilled to have the chance to chat with them about their initiative to increase the pipeline of skilled tradespeople. This shortage is something we’ve been concerned about for some time, as well.
TOH launched their campaign in 2016 to spark interest in the trades as a viable career path. They are generating awareness about the skilled labor shortage, raising funds for scholarships and helping to lift up the next generation who will someday be building and renovating our homes and businesses. Here is just some of the progress they’ve made:
- $600,000 in partner checks to the mikeroweWORKS Foundation and Skilled Labor Fund for voc-tech scholarships
- Seven TOH Generation NEXT apprentices, selected through nationwide casting calls, trained by our crew, and featured on the TV show; plus, a new round of apprentices to come soon!
- Continuing on-air segments and promos on TOH TV
- Dedicated channel on thisoldhouse.com, with frequent updates
- Participation in the Washington D.C. Bipartisan Senate Competitiveness Caucus and House Manufacturing Caucus panel
- Awareness (and fundraising) events at the International Builder’s Show and Kitchen and Bath Industry Show for the past three years
Keep up the great work This Old House! #TOHgennext